So I made this blog, because some of the stuff that I want to say simply can't be expressed in 140 Characters. At least, it can't be expressed that way and not have me spam your twitter feeds for the next 30 minutes. I'm not sure if anyone will bother to read this, but I deal with that I'm thinking by writing about it, so this is more for me than you anyway.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

To Continue a conversation..


 Most of Atheist Vs Theist arguments on twitter I think are rather boring, people shouting slogans back and forth at each other. I tend to only wade in when I see a Theist who is being particularly hateful and odious, or one who's argument is particularly hilarious and absurd.  Truth be told, I'm on twitter mostly for the lulz. For example, when asked for proof to substantiate his claims on the existence of god,  told the Atheist that questioned him, that she should, and I quote, "Put your hand in front of your face..now blow...God put breath into your body!! Glory To God  ". The ole "blow on your hand" defense was a new one for me, one I found that to be particularly hilarious, and I couldn't help but clown on the guy.  It's impossible for me to take someone like that seriously, or get upset by anything he said.

However, Yesterday I was on twitter, I saw a much more interesting dialog take place between some Christians and Atheists. I saw one of the theists () post this picture



And I thought it was fascinating. As someone who was raised in Evangelical Christianity, I find the arguments and the rhetoric of their theology Christianity to be rather interesting, particularly in more "progressive" sects. The ways Cognitive Dissonance manifests itself in their arguments, I am endlessly fascinated with. That particular quote though, I didn't really understand, and was completely new for me. I had never seen doubt try to be reconciled into faith before. I wanted to hear the argument for it, so I asked Pastor Bakker on twitter what that meant.

We had a pleasant and polite exchange. I thought he was using the words belief and particularly faith in interesting, non traditional ways, and I wanted him to define faith as it meant to him. If I'm getting it right, he is saying that Faith is essentially Hope in that which cannot be proven. That, contrary to what many Evangelicals believe (ie that you can have no doubt in God), Pastor Bakker argues that doubt is natural, in having hope in which cannot be proven. That God knows that, and that you can still have faith, even with doubt, is a manifestation of the miracle of God's love. Or something, that's how I understood it, Pastor Bakker, if I'm getting it wrong, he can feel free to correct me.

Apparently our dialog was going along so nicely and politely that he assumed that I was an Evangelical Christian, instead of an Atheist. He's probably not used to Atheists asking him polite questions, which I think is a shame frankly. There's no reason Atheists can't treat polite, thoughtful Theists with civility. It must have come as quite a shock to him to see the back ground of my twitter page being a near naked picture of the lovely @morellaaddams, and reading my timeline would be further scandal, as I talk more about sex work, gender politics and crass joking around nonsense than I do about religion. But he hasn't unfollowed me yet, so he must have a strong stomach for kinky heathens.

Our conversation got cut off at a crucial point though, when I asked him what I think is the core problem with theism for me: "okay, I can go with 'Faith is hope for that we have not seen'. but then I'd ask, how does one know which thing to hope for? / if it hasn't been seen, why do we hope for one thing, and not the other, if we have no evidence, and aren't making our decision / to have faith, based on evidence? " Pastor Bakker's response was that was a big question for twitter, which is totally fair. It is, 140 characters is a difficult format for answering that. So I'm making this blog post, and if the Pastor would like to take a shot at it in my comments section, I would welcome it.

Before he does though, I'd like to expand on what I mean by that question. For me, I have seen no evidence, at all, that there is a creator. The only argument I can even come close to being okay with is " the universe's existence itself is. The complexity, the magnificence of it, how could there not be a design". I don't really agree, I think the universe's existence is only evidence of the existence itself, and saying there's a creator is a large logical leap. I think it's a product of humans anthropomorphizing the universe, as we tend to anthropomorphize almost anything, from our cars to our cats to our iphones. However, for the sake of argument, lets say that I agree, that yes, there has to be a creator. That there is some Force, some energy, some intelligence, some being, that is planning and mapping out the course of creation. The bigger problem for Christianity is: why should I believe theirs specific explanation of that Creative Force over any other religion, philosophy, myth or fiction? Because to me, all explanations of god seem equally implausible.

Here is what I mean by implausible. I will try to explain how I view Judeo-Christianity, from a dispassionate nutshell. What I am being required to believe by Christians is the following ( the details of it may differ from sect to sect, but the overall jist is the same): God created the universe. To populate earth, he made man in his image. But he also created man imperfect, created him so he would sin, so he would automatically displease god. As punishment for this sin, god's creation in his image would suffer in hell, for all of eternity. The only way to cleanse that sin, and not suffer eternally, was a powerful magical spell. What Sinners would do, is take an animal, ritually kill it, and then ritually burn it. By that magical sacrifice, man's sins were forgiven, and God was pleased. All other humans were sinners, and were going to hell, but his chosen few could enter heaven with him.

But, for some unknown reason, the unchanging, unchangeable God changed his mind. He decided to let all humans have a chance to avoid eternal misery, not just his chosen few. However, a much more powerful spell was required. Killing animals would not do. So, in order to let humanity know, that there was a new magic in the world, God had a son. But that son was also God, because there is only One God in Christianity, it is monotheistic. So this Son of God, which was also God himself, came into the world, and preached a new deal was here. In order to seal this deal, this God that is Man was killed in a Human/Deity Sacrifice, and then 3 days later rose from the dead. Through this act, Animal Sacrifice was no longer needed, all you needed to do, in order to avoid hell, was believe that God had become man, and had given this sacrifice. Christians commemorate this sacrifice by ritual symbolic cannibalism, in which they symbolically eat and drink the blood and body of the sacrificed god ( and some sects believe that the symbolic wafers and wine transform in your mouth into the literal flesh and blood of the sacrificed God, and the holy cannibalism is not symbolic, but quite literal).

That it how Christianity looks to me when I view it with any kind of objectivity. It it seems like any other mythical world view, with no demonstrable evidence that any of their claims are real or true. So my question is, why Christianity, and not Islam, or Zoroastrianism, Baha’i, Jainism or anything else? Why is it the above that you believe, and not something else? If you don't base your faith on evidence, but hope alone, how do you know what you are hoping for is real, and is right?

I will say, I think that the incorporation of doubt into faith is an extremely clever adaptation. Most Sects of Christianity maintain that you can have no doubt what so ever. That doubtlessness was easy to maintain in medieval times, when most people were illiterate and were surrounded 100% by fellow believers. However, as humanity becomes increasingly more educated and exposed to alternative view points, that kind of doubtless facade becomes harder and harder to keep intact. Either you have to resort to near cult like brain washing, turn up the heat on “hell fear” to scare people into staying in line, or rely on the power of denial ( which is powerful). Reconciling Doubt with faith is completely ingenious and not something I've see before. By acknowledging the doubt, rather than calling on believers to suppress it, doubt becomes easier to control. I'm not sure how much basis there is for it in the Bible, however. The Bible seems to incentivize utter and total faith, and punishes those with doubts and skepticism. I'd be curious what the biblical basis for the Faith with Doubts doctrine. I think having doubts about the supernatural is a completely rational thing, and I agree that most Christians will inevitably have them. I do disagree, fundamentally, with the conclusion you make. Doubt isn't an aspect of faith, it is the very essence of reason. Skepticism is at the heart of the Scientific Method, of having a rational view of the world. You should have doubts about God. You would do well, rather than trying to incorporate those doubts into your theology, to instead explore those doubts to their logical conclusions.

14 comments:

  1. you lay your thoughts out neatly. sometimes i can't *quite* put into words what i want to say; i'll give it a go several times but end up deleting and moving on unless inspiration (epiphany) strikes.

    i hope the pastor reads this even if he doesn't say anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for putting up this post. I'll break it up into three posts. If I may offer my humble thoughts on some of the stuff you wrote. And address your questions toward the end.

    "God created the universe."
    Yes, this is core to the Christian faith.

    "To populate earth, he made man in his image."
    Not exactly, to populate the Earth, God made animals, that do not bear his image in the same way man does. (Genesis 1:24) The reason why the invisible God had compassion on a particular creature he made (mankind) and made humans in his image remains a mystery of his grace. The psalmist asks the same question: "Of what importance is the human race, that you should notice them? Of what importance is mankind, that you should pay attention to them, and make them a little less than the heavenly beings?You grant mankind honor and majesty; you appoint them to rule over your creation; you have placed everything under their authority," (Psalm 8:4-6). In fact it's such a mystery, even heavenly creatures God has made long to look in to these things (1 Peter 1:12).

    "But he also created man imperfect, created him so he would sin, so he would automatically displease god."
    Man was created perfect (Genesis 1:27). In God's creation, he moved from chaos (Gensis 1:2) to perfection (Genesis 1:27). Man was created to please God.(Isaiah 43:21, 1 Peter 2:9). Though being made perfect, and bearing the image of God; we, by our very nature, are not God. When we began to rely on our own strength and forget from who we derive our identity (as we do bear the image of God), and think ourselves (or declare something else) to be god; we fell into sin (Romans 1:21-23).

    "As punishment for this sin, god's creation in his image would suffer in hell, for all of eternity."
    As punishment, God gives man what he really wants, separation from God. As you move away from light you move into darkness, not because the light is punishing you, but because the absence of light is darkness. But, God always devises a way that his banished ones will not remain banished (2 Samuel 14:14).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The only way to cleanse that sin, and not suffer eternally, was a powerful magical spell. What Sinners would do, is take an animal, ritually kill it, and then ritually burn it. By that magical sacrifice, man's sins were forgiven, and God was pleased. All other humans were sinners, and were going to hell, but his chosen few could enter heaven with him."
    The blood of bulls and goats never took away sin.(Hebrews 10:4) God desired mercy, not sacrifice (Hosea 6:6), and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings (Hosea 6:6). God is not appeased by sacrifice (Isaiah 1:11-13, 1 Samuel 15:22, Psalm 40:6, Psalm 51:16). The prophets and Stephen said that in the wilderness, the Israelites were sacrificing to Jupiter, not to God (Acts 7:41-43, Amos, Jeremiah 19:13).

    "But, for some unknown reason, the unchanging, unchangeable God changed his mind."
    The Christian God is not Plato's unmoved mover. Several times in the Bible God relents or decides not to do something, because of his love for mankind. Some examples are Exodus 32:12, Jonah 1:2, Joel 2:13 (there are more probably about 12, but I am going to be lazy and not put them in here)

    "He decided to let all humans have a chance to avoid eternal misery, not just his chosen few. However, a much more powerful spell was required. Killing animals would not do."
    Killing animals never did (see above)

    "So, in order to let humanity know, that there was a new magic in the world,"
    The new covenant was declared long before Jesus. (Jeremiah 31:31-34, Deuteronomy 18:15-22)

    "God had a son. But that son was also God,"
    Though the Trinity is mysterious... If you had a son, wouldn't he be a human, so if God has a Son, wouldn't he be God?... And if your son knew your thoughts and what you would do in any situation (Matthew 11:27), you could rightfully say you where the same being, because you shared the same will (John 10:30).

    ReplyDelete
  4. "because there is only One God in Christianity, it is monotheistic. So this Son of God, which was also God himself, came into the world, and preached a new deal was here."
    Amen!

    "In order to seal this deal, this God that is Man was killed in a Human/Deity Sacrifice, and then 3 days later rose from the dead. Through this act, Animal Sacrifice was no longer needed, all you needed to do, in order to avoid hell, was believe that God had become man, and had given this sacrifice."
    Christ on the cross shows the worse of humanity. The worst thing that we could do as humans is to kill the one who created us. A man was here who healed the sick, feed the poor, and preached against the opressive nature of the religious elite. He declared himself to be God, but we didn't believe him. He was truly God in the flesh, but we didn't praise him or make him king, we killed him. This shouldn't shock us, as we often mistreat people who do good in our society, as we long to be as selfish as possible. But he forgave us and was raised from the dead for our justification. Because Jesus was perfect for us, we are free to be less than perfect. The Gospel teaches us that we no longer have to stress about our standing before God, for Christ has already finished that. we don't have to feel guilty, because Christ has removed our guilt and shame at the cross. We don't have to see how we measure up or how otheres measure up, we are free to love one another. We are free to fail, we are free to be weak, we are free to stop pretending and just be who God made us to be. Sin turns us inward, but the grace of God, shown in Jesus Christ turns us outward. We love others as we were loved by Christ. And God's grace changes us from the inside out so that we can do it. We have nothing to fear from God or from man.

    "Christians commemorate this sacrifice by ritual symbolic cannibalism, in which they symbolically eat and drink the blood and body of the sacrificed god ( and some sects believe that the symbolic wafers and wine transform in your mouth into the literal flesh and blood of the sacrificed God, and the holy cannibalism is not symbolic, but quite literal)."
    There is a verse in the Bible where God says, "Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?" (Psalm 50:13). In ancient times, people believed that the gods ate the flesh of bulls and goats, so that is why they offered sacrifices to them. So the sacrifice was for the gods. But, Christ is making it clear in a symbolic way, that God is sacrificing for man. Hence the ritual. It is also, symbolic of taking in the life of Christ into ourselves. The fact that some religions teach that is really is Christ's body is neither here nor there, because that is not taught by God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So my question is, why Christianity, and not Islam, or Zoroastrianism, Baha’i, Jainism or anything else?"
    Christianity is different, one because of the idea of the Trinity, see in other religions, God had to create inorder to love, but in Christianity God is a relationship of love that has existed between Father, Son and Spirit for all of eternity. Second, Christianity, unlike other religions, is about what God has done for us, not what we must do for God. Christianity is truly not a religion, but a message of what God has done for humanity.

    "Why is it the above that you believe, and not something else?"
    The same reason someone believes any other world view, it best describes the world around me. As C.S. Lewis says, "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

    "If you don't base your faith on evidence, but hope alone, how do you know what you are hoping for is real, and is right?"
    Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." In a general sense people hope for the same things: joy, peace, freedom, etc. We find these things in Jesus Christ. So our faith is that Jesus Christ has reconciled us to God, that we may receive these blessings, not just in this life, but also in the life to come.

    Faith is not modified by evidence, but by the faithfulness of the object of faith. Let me give you an example, you could explain to me the techincalities of why my car will work when I turn the key, but the reason why I believe my car will start tomorrow morning is not because I know the ins and out of the mechanical workings of my car; but because it starts every morning when I turn the key. Therefore I have faith in my car, because of the faithfulness of my car. I have faith in God because of his faithfulness to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I want to say I have very little interest in your first three posts. You misunderstood entirely why I posted my general overview of Christianity. I posted it in the broadest possible terms, to cover the most general scope of visions of what Christianity, to express how much I view it like any other myth. I stripped it, intentionally, of the ornamental language of the Bible, and laid out in the most simplified terms. I have zero interest in how your specific interpretation of the Bible and Christianity differs from what I said. I think all sects of Christianity are equally implausible. You have to back up several steps and stop explaining me the intricate details of what you believe, because I am not interested in them. What I am interested in, is why you believe any of this, and in turn, why should I. If you'd like to discuss Biblical Nuance, this is the wrong blog.

    Your forth post is more interesting to me, since it branches off from using the source material of a myth, to prove or clarify said myth, and instead attempts to form arguments about why I should believe at all. So I'll address this forth post exclusively

    1st Paragraph: I understand how Christianity is different, theologically, from other religions. That is not what I asked. What I asked why, why should I believe the Trinity exists at all. Why should I pick Christanity as true, and not Islam. I don't mean this in a cost/benefit analysis sort of way. I'm not talking about looking at a Consumer Digest break down of the different religions, and picking which one has the best Miles Per Hour. I'm talking about why should I believe one of them is true. Not better than the others. Which one is true.

    2nd Paragraph: “You think that Christianity best describes the world around you”. That's a very good answer, actually. I do not believe that, I think through scientific inquiry we can understand the world around us much better than with Christianity, and I don't really think Christianity describes the world better than say, Islam ( though it does it considerably better than say, Scientology). I think 3000 years ago, the Old Testament was an excellent guideline for a pre-scientific society to view the world, it had a great deal of utility compared to the religions around it. As time has passed, however, that utility has increasingly shrank. Today, I believe faith in Christianity is a hindrance to our understanding of the universe, not an aid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3rd Paragraph: You really didn't answer my question. You're basically saying that you know your faith is real because that faith tells you it's real. That may be good enough for you, but it's not for me. I see zero evidence that what you have faith in is real. I understand that you feel joyous from being a christian, you feel peaceful by being a Christian, you feel free by being a Christian( though I admit, I find that idea rather strange). If having those feelings are all the proof you need, terrific. I require more. I have joy, peace and freedom already.

    4th Paragraph “Faith is not modified by evidence, but by the faithfulness of the object of faith” How I read that is “ My superstitions work for me”. I think your example of the car is simply a terrible one. You believe that your car will work tomorrow, because it has always worked when you've turned the key. You don't need to be explained how and why it does. But that's the thing. You CAN have how your car works be explained to, if you so desire, how and why it does. If you were curious about it, if you wanted to learn about it, you could study it, and understand, in exact detail, why it works. You could learn how to fix your car if it breaks, and even build a car from the ground up, given the right tools and fiancial ability. Your car doesn't work on magic, and your belief that it will start tomorrow has zero effect on if it will. It starts because there are demonstrable scientific processes at work, that anyone with enough intelligence can understand if they put in the work. Further, your car may NOT start tomorrow. You may believe that it will, but when you turn your key, nothing may happen. Because you don't know how cars work, and you have only your faith in your car to guide you, perhaps you would turn the car key again and again, until you lost faith in it, and then be force to buy another car that you had more faith in. Or, what you would actually do, is take it to a mechanical expert, who understands the scientific processes at work in your car's engine, and will fix it for you. Cars do not run on faith, and I won't craft my belief system based on it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I see zero evidence that what you have faith in is real."
    I have faith in the person of Jesus Christ, a person who really lived in history. Without the person of Jesus Christ, I would not believe in God.

    I see what you are saying, but to hear “Faith is not modified by evidence, but by the faithfulness of the object of faith” as "my superstitions work for me", is missing the point. We all have faith, faith is a normal process of the human brain, not a spiritual one. We sit in chair we have never sat in before and believe they will hold us, we rely on a little yellow lane to separate huge machines driving at one another on the road, etc... so my only point in that statement is speaking about faith in general, not specifically religious or supernatural faith.

    Just as we can learn from a car manual, how a car works. We can know about God from the Bible. But just like you have to believe that the manual you are reading is properly describing the car you are working on, so you must believe that the Bible is properly describing our existence. Through my reading of scripture and my observation of the world, my studies and my own existence, I fully believe that it properly describes human nature, the world and life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat discussion...I love it when people can talk about these kinds of things respectfully. How much we can learn from each other when we know that the other person is not going to ridicule or go off or resort to insults. THANKS!

    For what it's worth, my two cents are below. :)

    I grew up in Evangelicalism, but my faith became the most alive when I ditched the rules and the play-book of 'making converts' through arguing the Bible and defending God (God doesn't really need me to do that anyway). I made it about 'me and God', not 'me, the rules and how I can convince everyone that my religion is right by explaining the Bible empirically'.
    At its core, faith in Jesus isn't sensible. People who face death and have died rather than renounce their faith know and have experienced something beyond what is tangible...Who would die for something they were unsure of or for something that they only read about in a book and thought maybe, could be true?

    As a book-learning geek I tend toward a need to 'figure it all out'. I think there has to be some amount of 'sense' to my faith or else I'd 'fall for anything' or worse, fall into brain-numb Scripture-quoting/platitude speaking. But overall, after years of frustration at the failure of God to live up to my intellectual expectations, I have found it more beneficial to spend my time stumbling through what it means to live as Jesus taught and relate to God as Jesus taught (not because I fear I will go to hell if I don't, but because I believe it is the best way to live).

    In essence, I surrendered. I discovered that if I truly wanted to 'meet' this creator more deeply - beyond physical evidence, there had to be some willingness on my part to play by a different set of 'rules' than I might be comfortable with.

    That didn't mean checking my brain at the door. I still study, I still want all of my questions answered. I go 'round and 'round with 'Papa' ALOT (btw -I choose the masculine pronoun for God because I am most familiar with that, I do not follow the patriarchal hierarchy common among my 'people'). At the same time I have stopped putting my brain first. After all, is any relationship cooperative with my expectations of how it 'should be'?

    When I let go a little bit, I found that something 'moved in' and began to work in (mess with??) my heart and mind. I call this the Holy Spirit.

    It has been a wild ride since then. It can be frustrating but more often it is amazing and freeing. And it is much less frustrating than it was to sit on the side-lines with my Bible and my rules and wonder what people were doing who lived this way and why they did it.

    I have nothing I can give to anyone demanding an explanation to satisfy an evidentiary hearing of cold, hard facts. I only have my journey. I could desire with all my heart for the earth to rotate in the opposite direction, but that just isn't the way it works. I have to learn to live with that or spend my time banging my head against a wall. Know what I mean?

    So, there it is. That's my story.

    My best to you, Jim, in whatever way you choose to walk out life...May you find lots of love and laughter because I think those are two of the best things in the world whether one believes there's a God or not.

    Helen










    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) The historical existence of Jesus Christ is far from being universally accepted, but that's not the subject of this blog post. I will, for the sake of argument, concede that he's a historical figure. So was Muhammed, Buddha, Bahá'u'lláh, and L Ron Hubbard. Jesus mere existence, as a human, does not prove he was a god.

    2)Yes, but again, the things the we have "faith" in, in the scientific world, can all be proven, if you take the time to understand them. They may seem like magic, but they are not. There are scientifically verifible reasons why you can talk to your wife on a cell phone miles away from her, why our TV's can show events from across the world near instantaniously, why our lights turn on when we flick a switch. There is no scientifically verifiable evidence that there is a God, that his son was jesus christ, that there is a heaven, that there is a hell, that believing in Jesus saves you from hell and puts you into heaven, or any of the rest of the supernatural claims of the bible. That is the issue I have.

    3)No, you don't have to believe that your manual is properly explaining how a car works. That is the point. Either the manual IS proplerly explaining it, or it is not. Your belief that it is, is irrelevant. Car manuals are based in objectivie reality, and will or will not work based on scientific principals. I have seen no evidence that the supernatural claims of the Bible are objectively true.

    With all due respect, I made this blog post for a specific person, Pastor Bakker, to respond to it, because I found his logic and reasoning interesting and novel. Your logic and reasoning? Well I'm all too familar with this kind of argument, so I'll not be responding to anymore posts like that one. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Helen, thanks for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it. I'll address a few of the points you made

    1) "At it's Core, Faith in Jesus isn't Sensible" I agree with that, and I think it's an intellectually honest approach to Christianity and Religion. It's not going to convince me that what you experience spiritually exists beyond your subjective experience, but I think expressing your spiritual life is more compelling than Christianity's attempts at a rational defense of Christ's divinity. However, it's a paradox, because only a rational argument will convince me of it, so I continue to encourage Christians ( and believers of any faith) to attempt to make them. It's also, I think, at the core of the issue most Atheists have on twitter and otehr social media. They are trying to use a rational argument to talk people out of what is essentually a irrational belief based on subjective experience and feeling. That's very difficult to do. I don't really try to do that. I don't really care about converting people to Atheism. I do, however, care about people, Atheists and Theits alike, thinking and acting more Rationally. It's a Quixotic quest, I know.

    2)What you are describing is very nice, I imagine it's very comforting andrewarding for you. It gives you a purpose, and makes you feel loved. But to me, the subjective experience you feel, when you have the "holy spirit", when you live a "christ like way", the journey you are on.. I see no substantive difference between that and the religious experience of people all over the world. I see little difference between christians who actively try to Live like the loving christ (which I find to be particularly nice version of christianity, that aesthetically I like more than other, more warlike versions), and the Hindu Bhakti Movement. The spirit that you're filled with, when you Let go, it's difficult for me to see a difference between that and Sufist Muslims. There are religions and spiritual traditions all over the world, people experiencing things all over the world. The problem I have with it all is 1) there is no evidence that any of it is real, beyond the individual person's subjective "spirtual" experience with it 2)There is no way to prove that one of these spirtual interactions with the divine is legitimate, and all the others are illegitmate.


    ReplyDelete
  12. How I would interpret your journey would be like this. You really want to belief in God or in something, but the Bible made no sense to in some place, and was outright hateful in others. You couldn't match your desire for a loving god, with the scitzophrenic god of the bible. Rather than confront the idea that there might be no god at all ( which can be terrifying), instead you decided to reject the literal intepretation of the bible, and instead embrace the Jesus that you wanted, one of unconditional love, of kindness, one that can transform people's hearts and minds. You have made your own religion, in a sense. You've taken the stuff that makes sense to you, which seems good and kind and just in the bible and thrown out the cruel, barbaric nonsense. Good for you, you should reject the hateful things in that book. If your spiritual connection with jesus makes you a kinder, nicer, happier person, then I wish you the best of luck.


    I will tell you something about my journey, however. I was just like you, about 3 years before I came to grips with the fact that I didn't believe in Jesus or God at all. I was raised in Evangelicism, I couldn't come to grips the intolerance of it, I couldn't accept that just people who didn't believe were going to hell.. so I just rejected the stuff that I didn't like, and felt that some how my view of Christanity was the "True" way, and these mean, hateful christians were missing the point of Jesus's return. I was extremely tolerant of non-believers, and tried to express Christ's love in everything I did, with everyone I came in contact with. However, the more and more of the Bible I disgarded, the more and more that I altered tradition evangelicism teachings, the more and more I came to realize that my beliefs, my desires, were based on literally nothing but my own wish that they were true. I had no evidence what I was feeling was real, in any tangible sense. Could make no rational argument to my atheist friends on why they should believe. One day, my feelings just weren't enough. I needed proof. You may never need proof Helen. For you, faith alone, your feelings alone, may be enough. They aren't enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was fascinating, jim. again, i really like how you cut right to the core of what you're trying to get at.

    i know i've tweeted it several times, but have you read this story? http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/testimonials/hobbs.html

    it really is long; you might want to bookmark it. i was so drawn into it i read it all in one day, but it took me 6-8 hours to do so.

    also, if you started following my twitter since the last time i tweeted the link, this is my story of leaving christianity: http://fieryskulldiaries.com/2012/12/13/how-i-became-atheist/

    maybe it should be more embellished, but that's all i've written thus far. some of the commenters have lamented that it ended too abruptly, but i wonder if that's because i may have been unclear about the timeline of things. (i'll let you judge for yourself and we can discuss it if you read it.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be happy to read both of them!

    ReplyDelete