So I made this blog, because some of the stuff that I want to say simply can't be expressed in 140 Characters. At least, it can't be expressed that way and not have me spam your twitter feeds for the next 30 minutes. I'm not sure if anyone will bother to read this, but I deal with that I'm thinking by writing about it, so this is more for me than you anyway.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

That's me in the corner...

Born Again Christians have the "Witnessing" story, about how they came to Christ. That emotional moment when they feel that whisper of the holy spirit call them, and how that transformed them from what ever dark place they were in, into the child of Christ they are today. It's a big, dramatic thing.  There aren't Atheist Preachers at Revival tents, using emotional pleas to try and convert you (though a Hitchens Rant comes close). Rational inquiry isn't big and dramatic. There isn't some big EUREKA epiphany moment (typically).  It's a long, slow process of examining evidence, coming up with the best hypothesis, testing it, accepting it, rejecting it, improving on it.  It requires a lot of thinking, and a lot of work, and a lot of courage.  Never forget that  Christianity's greatest tool in converting non-believers, and keeping them converted is fear. Because Fear of death isn't enough quite scary enough, the fear of the meaninglessness of life, of the great nothing that comes with death (something i'm still terrified of, fwiw), isn't traumatic enough. No, instead Christianity fills you with an even greater fear, fear of eternal suffering. Of eternal punishment, never ending, if you aren't saved and don't stay saved.  These twin fears, Death Fear and Hell Fear, are incredibly traumatic for the believer, and difficult to get rid of, even after you've reasoned your way through it all. It's the fear of Death/Hell that keeps so many Christain's clinging to Pascal's Wager like a life preserver.

I think it was both easier for me, and harder for me to become an atheist than it was for most former Christians. I didn't really have strong  external indoctrination. My Dad was a Mason, and basically a Deist (Mason Deism which is a very interesting Theism, and was a nice giant step away from irrational religion towards the rational back in the 1700's. A subject for another Blog post, however). My mom is Baptist, but she didn't go to church much, didn't bring me to church much. She did Listen to Focus on the Family all the time, watched Billy Graham whenever he was on TV, and read books/pamphlets mailed out by both organization. I would say she has an intensely superstitious belief, but it's not one founded in church going. She deeply believes in hell however, and the need to be born again.


So because Mom didn't go to church much, I didn't go to church much.  One place I did go to, starting at a very young age, was church camp.  Church Camp is an incredibly insidious thing.  They take you away from all your friends at home, drive you out into the woods in the middle of no where, bunk you up with a bunch of strangers, most of whom to a greater or lesser degree are Christians. There was always at least one Head Pastor for the camp, and usually 1 or 2 assistant Pastors. Each cabin's has a Youth Councilor. When you were really young, the Councilors were typically High School Students who had gone to the camp when they were young. As you got older, the Councilors were almost all Students at local Baptist Colleges. They were there to recruit, I think paid by the Colleges. So,  what they would do is, exercise you all day, having you sing songs, and do sports until you're exhausted. Then, after a day of physical activity, when it's dark, they light a big bon fire, and have you sing, and sing, and sing, until you've hyperventilated. Then, in the darkness, after a day of exhausting workouts, and an hour (ish) of singing, people start getting up by the camp fire, and start witnessing to you. Telling you stories about how they came to christ, how someone they knew came to christ, or some other story, meant to move and or scare you.  Sometimes it would be a Pastor, sometimes one of the Councilors, and some times it would be one of you. People would start getting really emotional. Start crying. Tell emotional things about their past, stuff that had happened to them. How god helped them (or they wanted God to help them).  It was like when you get together with your friends, and tell ghost stories. You'd all start to get freaked out, "spooked" out, and start to feel the evil creatures.  Same thing, only you feel the spirit of god.  the whole Church Camp Experience was an incredibly efficient at eliciting a "religious experience"

So I was young, I hadn't really thought about Christianity Critically yet. I just assumed what adults told you, and your parents told you was true, but I didn't "Feel" it.  I didn't know any atheists, wasn't exposed to it. I'm surrounded by believers, at the apex of a situation crafted to elicit a religious experience, and predictably, it did elicit one in me. I felt "The presence of god" . I felt awash with love. I felt the need to confess my sins, and accept Christ as my Personal Lord and Savior. The whole 9 yards. Totally bought it, totally believed it, totally FELT it. It was very real to me,  hyper real. What it really was, was a flood of endorphin's washing into my brain, and I have had more "profound" drug experiences since then . However, at the time, it seemed very, very real.  So, the rest of camp, you're filled with Christ love, fellowshipping with other campers, and it was like a paradise. Then, you go back home, and I"m filled with the spirit of the Lord. I start buying up Xian music, and reading my student bible, and some theology books, and going gun ho. I prayed all the time, had a "personal" relationship with Christ. I still didn't go to church much, but  I formed my own theology, very much like the one Helen describes in the comments of my previous blog post. I wasn't concerned what churches did, because I didn't think churches were particularly good at understanding the type of love and Fellowship I thought Christ represented.  I had a very Hippy idea of what being a christian was, for lack of a better word. I had some punk christian friends, that I would go to bible study with sometimes, which seemed more authentic to me than Church did. I would go to camp every year, and it was wonderful. I always felt the spirit, Christ's love, when I was at camp. Very, very seldom if at all away from it, but i'd get recharged every year at camp. I never felt, for a moment, that these feelings and experiences I had weren't real.

It wasn't till college, when I really started thinking critically for the first time, that I started doubting. I didn't go to church, and I was too old for camp, so the religious experiences ceased. I read a lot of existential literature, read philosophy of many kinds, talked and debated with people of many faiths and of no faith.   Did drugs. I don't mean that glibly. I did mushrooms, acid and even ayahuasca with the specific goal of finding God. I had stopped feeling the spirit completely by that time, and my faith was crumbling, and I was desperate to kick start it. But All I found in those drug experiences, was that I had a lot of fun. There was nothing deeper and more meaningful about it them.  But still, the fear was there. Still the implication of not believing was there. The emptiness. I had fetishized how good believing felt, how good of a person I was when I was "walking with christ"  and I dreaded how bad losing my faith felt, and how awful the oblivion of death would be ( and worse still, Hell, if I was wrong).

But eventually, I had to stop deluding myself. Eventually I had to come to grips with the hard, cold fact that I didn't believe. I remember, I sought out one of my good friends from college, who was an Atheist ( he had been raised by a really crazy fundamentalist Pastor, like more conservative/weird than Southern Baptist. Like his dad had to hide from his congregation that he went to the movie theater, sort of thing.). He was the first one that I told that I was an Atheist. He said that he knew that I would eventually, because I wasn't stupid.  It was a relief, but it also felt shitty.  I had other things going on in my life, at the time, so I don't know how much of my Depression was linked with my Existential crisis, but I certainly link them in my mind today.

My life since then, has largely been my own personal quest to get my mind around the moral/psychological/societal/philosophical implications of there not being a God, of there not being an Objective source of Morality.  To find personal meaning in what I think is fundamentally a meaningless existence.  Someone linked me to a Woody Allen Interview yesterday, and I think he pretty much articulates exactly how I see the world. http://commonwealmagazine.org/woody.  It's really bleak outlook. Not a really good selling point, compared to say, eternal paradise or re-incarceration or a mystical transformation into a loving person.  It couldn't compete with religions in an open market, that's for sure. Really, the only thing that it has going for it, is I think it's true.  I'm not quite as bleak as him,I don't think life is essentially horrible, I find a great deal more pleasure in life than Allen does ( I'm a Born Again Hedonist, these days).  But I do think life is without objective meaning, and I just can no longer fool myself into thinking otherwise.  That's why I'm an Atheist, because I refuse to delude myself with subjective experience, and with fear.

3 comments:

  1. ugh, christian camp. speaking of, have you watched 'jesus camp'? i could relate to a lot of it and it sounds like you would too.

    the death part of being an atheist is the hardest to reconcile. probably harder for people like you and me who always thought there was SOMETHING after death, and being saved, that we would experience the good side of it. it's really hard to go from thinking you'll go on; that you'll see loved ones again, to the more likely reality that there truly is nothing. when life is gone, it's gone. i wonder if we are extra afraid of that because fear was ingrained in us. i know i still fight my demons of indoctrination ("demons" used metaphorically, not spiritually. haha).

    but yes, for me, it's the fear. my political views changed alongside my religious ones, and vice-versa. i distinctly remember the moment when it dawned on me that the modern republican party uses FEAR as its fuel. i don't recall a similar epiphany moment when i related the fear motivator to religion, but that moment regarding the republican party happened in 2010, and it was in 2010 that i was able to say, "i am not a christian," so the two probably happened very close to each other. because i hate being caught in the wrong and it's easier to be cautious rather than go back and retract previous statements, i often hesitate to make absolute statements - at least not in seriousness. but there is one that i have made because i have no doubts whatsoever: ALL of christianity is fear. ALL christians are fearful. EVERYTHING that makes christianity what it is links back to a FEAR of something. christians don't realize it because they're not taught to recognize things for what they are. fear is wisdom, comfort, and safety. love is hatred; hatred is obedience. their logic isn't logical because they can't view the bible objectively because doubt is sinful; their "logic" is only logical from the view of "the bible is god's word."

    you MUST read this "extimony," if you haven't already! http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/testimonials/hobbs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Jesus Camp, and I adored it, obviously. My camp wasn't so intense, and didn't have the overt political agenda that the Jesus Camp did. However, it was extremely useful in helping me see how insidious my own camp experience was. In a lot of ways, I still love my camp experience, I had a lot of fun, made a lot of great friends. I just wish it had been a science camp!

    I could go on and on about the death fear, and the hell fear. It's an interesting question, if it's worse for us or not. IT seems pretty terrible for Woody Allen. I think it's bad, for anyone who takes any time to really think of it. I can't understand how it wouldn't be. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people raised as Humanists just aren't afraid of death. Lucky them.

    My political views were always really liberal,as soon as I started to understand politics at least, which is strange because my mom was definitely republican ( though she benefited directly from many social welfare programs Republicans wish to gut or end). My dad called himself an independent, but he was a rabid conservative. Like nearing wacko status. He was a HAM radio guy, and HAM guys have a strong libertarian/survivalist/militiaman streak running through them. So I don't think he was exposed to many progressive view points.

    And yet, I gravitated to the left, as soon as I learned about it. IT seemed more christian to me, to want to help people. To be inclusive. I thought the Republicans were filled with christians that I didn't like, that were giving christianity a bad name, missing the point. I was just making Christianity what ever I wanted it to be, just like Tea Party Christians do..

    I'm probably more conservative in some ways, now that I'm an Atheist. Well, maybe not conservative, I just have a very cynical world view now. I don't have the romantic vision of humanity that I used to. I have a more realistic view of the good and evil humans do, and no one to blame it on but us. My political ideology, like my personal philosophy, is based more on cost/benefit analysis than anything else. I find the Republican Party distasteful mostly because I think it 1) much of it's ideology is based on superstition 2) The degree to which it is rational, the goal of it is to maximize the wealth and privilege of a tiny elite, at the cost of the rest of us. Since I am not one of these elite, I see no rational reason to vote Republican. I also have huge issues with the Democratic party, I think they are a party of corrupted, gutless scumbags, mostly, and they too often give into irrationality. They just look good in comparison to Republicans, is all.

    I would hesitate to say all Christianity is fear, that all Christians are fearful, and hateful. I've known many christians who were incredibly open, loving, tolerant people. I can only say that I was fearful, and that fear kept me a Christian far longer than I would have liked. I do know, that there is a lot of hate in the bible, a lot of evil in it. And a lot of evil in the Christianity, historically and today and I think that's sad. THat was the point that Hitches was making with God is Not Great, how religion poisons everything. That people are good, in spite of religion, not because of it. That religion makes good people do crazy, vile things. And I think that's right. Religion is many people's Dumbo's Feather. They think they need it to be good, to fly. But all they really need to do, is stop being afraid of dropping that feather, let it go, and soar.

    I have that bookmarked, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I will try today, and tell you what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that "all of christianity is fear-based and all christians are fearful" is a strong statement. i've been privileged to know some christians who are generally open and inclusive and even politically liberal. but i feel confident in making such a statement because the one thing that constitutes christianity is the belief that we have sinned, the punishment for sin is death and separation from god and an eternity in hell, that we cannot save ourselves, so god sacrificed his son jesus in earthly form and we can accept his sacrifice and enjoy communion with god here on earth and eternity with him in heaven when we die. i think this can be summed up in what you refer to as the hell fear. the loving sacrifice of jesus is only necessary if we think we are wretched souls punished already with separation from god, and doomed to hell in our afterlife. so while not all christians share the same fears, i don't see how christianity does not first sell you the sickness then offer you the remedy.

    ReplyDelete